Until recently, no programmes on continuing education have been offered to practicing and trainee lawyers in the Palestinian territory. In order to fill this gap, the Institute of Law (IoL) at Birzeit University carries out the following activities:
- Professional Diploma in Legal Practice (PDLP): PDLP aims to promote lawyers' practical skills, including skills of writing, legislative drafting, and legal proceedings. A number of Palestinian legal practitioners at various Palestinian National Authority ministries as well as trainee lawyers take part in the PDLP.
- Judicial Education: IoL has launched several projects on judicial education, including the Initiative on Judicial Independence and Human Dignity (KARAMAH) and Bridge Programme for Judicial Education. In 1999 – 2000, IoL also implemented the Judicial Education Programme (JEP).
- Conferences: Since established, IoL has organised numerous international conferences, involving local and international experts. These legal conferences elaborate on legal issues prevalent in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, including:
- The Administrative Law and Public Administration in Palestine.
- Which Legal System for Palestine?
- Labour Legislation.
- Investments and International Contracts.
- Law Education in Palestine.
- The Judicial System in Palestine.
Birzeit Legal Encounters: On a regular basis, IoL holds Birzeit Legal Encounters. Presented by both Palestinian and foreign experts, these encounters highlight and discuss various legal aspects and issues in Palestine.